Another “Craigslist” story I have to share… even have a copy of the “email exchange”
I got a call from a lady a few days ago inquiring about a home for rent at 1327 Copping here in Folsom. It’s a 5 bedroom 3 full bath home, about 2500 sq ft and rents for $2,350.oo per month. This lady said she had answered the ad that had a rent offered at around $1,100 per month.
I think most people can spot a “rental scam” but maybe some can’t, so here’s some things that you might want to employ if you are looking to rent a home somewhere.
- If the price of the rental is so much lower than other homes you have been looking at..? It might be a scam.
- If the Owner/Landlord only communicates with you by email..? It might be a scam.
- If the Owner/Landlord will only accept cash or a “wire” transfer..? It might be a scam.
- If the Owner/Landlord is “out of the country”…? It might be a scam.
- If you “google” the property address and find more contact information besides the person you’ve been communicating with…? It might be a scam.
- If the Owner/Landlord meets you at the property and doesn’t ask for an application and is ready to give you the keys right then and there if you give him the money…? It might be a scam.
If you’d like to see copies of an email exchange between a “scam-ster” and the “mark”…? Click Here
In the mean time…?
Make it a Great Day..!
Ed Favinger, Broker, CRS, GRI, SFR 916-203-1260 email@example.com
- I got tricked by a rental scam in LA. What are my legal options? (ask.metafilter.com)
- The Return Of The Fake Craigslist Apartment Rental Scam : Gothamist (darkerme.com)
- Big Island Police Warn of Craigslist Rental Scam (damontucker.com)
- How do you avoid rental scams when looking for a new home? (firstnationalnews.com)
- The 8 Biggest Craigslist Crime Stories (Criminal Justice Degrees Guide)